Girls & Boys 16th Birthday Ideas
A 16th birthday is a major milestone and represents a big step towards adulthood. Mark this momentous occasion with fun celebration ideas, thoughtful gifts, and warm birthday greetings.
16th Birthday Party Ideas
Check out these Sweet 16 ideas for girls and boys birthday parties.
Digital 16th Birthday Invitations
Start your party planning off on the right foot with online 16th birthday invitations you can easily send from any digital device. Customize your favorite design with important event details, email or text them to guests, and gather RSVPs right from your phone.
Whether it’s a scary movie marathon or rom-com extravaganza, a party based on your teen’s favorite film genre is a fun and unique way to celebrate their 16th birthday. If it’s warm enough, host a movie night under the stars! Set up a projector in the backyard with a screen or white sheet on a fence or wall along with lawn chairs and blankets. Hosting indoors? Create a cozy ambiance with twinkling string lights, lots of pillows and blankets, and plenty of popcorn and snacks.
Create a tropical paradise for your teen with a luau celebration. Decorate your space with grass table skirts, tiki torches, colorful streamers, and inflatable palm trees and parrots. Serve nonalcoholic Hawaiian-themed drinks and pass out leis to guests when they arrive. Lastly, set up speakers with a playlist approved by your teen for lots of dancing!
Spoil your Sweet 16 teen rotten with some serious pampering. Either invite a few good friends to a local spa or set up spa stations at home for facials, manicures, and pedicures. For party favors, fill a small purse or wristlet with a nail file, clipper, and nail polish.
For gamers, find a local arcade, laser tag venue, or paintball center to host their party. Alternatively, rent a mobile game truck to bring the party to you! No matter where you host, be sure to serve a Video Game Controller Cake for a sweet way to end the celebration.
If your teen loves the outdoors, this is the perfect celebration for them. Find a local campsite or host in your own backyard. Whether you rough it out in the wilderness or choose the more luxurious glamping route, be sure to have plenty of hotdogs and marshmallows on hand for roasting!
No matter what type of party you choose to host, be sure to capture and share all of your party photos with guests in a free Shared Album. Easily collect photos from guests throughout the celebration with one simple link and share the Shared Album with everyone after the event.
5 Thoughtful 16th Birthday Gift Ideas
Need a 16th birthday gift? Present ideas for this milestone birthday should be meaningful and memorable, relevant and useful, or fun and enjoyable. Read on for some creative 16th birthday gift ideas that fit these categories.
For a truly unique and special gift, give the birthday honoree a Happy Birthday video from friends and family. Ask loved ones to send the birthday boy or girl well wishes in a short video clip and combine the clips into a heartfelt group video. The recipient will be so touched to hear birthday messages from all of their favorite people!
At this age, teens might have a driver’s license, debit or credit card, student ID, and other forms of identification that they should store safely and securely in one place. A nice leather wallet engraved with the honoree’s initials is the perfect way to personalize this practical gift.
Concert & Sports Tickets
Does the birthday boy or girl have a favorite band or sports team? Take a look at upcoming concerts and games in your area and – if it’s in your budget – purchase a ticket for your teen and a friend to attend. You’ll need to do some advanced planning and calendar checking for this gift to work, but the smile on your teen’s face will be worth it!
Teens that get their driver’s license are often over the moon with excitement but will quickly realize that driving and maintaining a car can be expensive. With this in mind, create a basket filled with car necessities (and some fun nonessentials) like gift cards for gas, a travel mug, steering wheel and seat covers, a vanity license plate frame, and car wash essentials.
Online Greeting Cards & Gift Cards
Send thoughtful birthday greetings with an online 16th birthday card you can customize and send in minutes. Pick your favorite card, personalize the message inside, and customize the font, colors, envelope liner and stamp.
Let the birthday kid pick their own gift! Include a digital gift card for an extra special surprise and text or email the eCard right from your phone.
16th Birthday Quotes + Wishes
Not sure what to write in your birthday card or group video gift? Read on for funny and inspirational quotes for 16th birthday boys and girls.
16th Birthday Quotes for Anyone
- Happy 16th birthday. Don’t start to take yourself too seriously. Nobody else is about to.
- Keep on smiling, aim high, and you’ll get even more than you ever wanted. Have an awesome year and make the most of your sweet 16th!
- Now you can actually drive a car instead of just driving your parents crazy. Happy 16th birthday!
- As you turn sixteen, know that there will be many changes that will happen in your life. Many good things are coming your way! You’re just getting started and I'm so excited for all the things that will happen in your life. Happy Birthday!
- Well, that was quick. It only took you sixteen years to grow up into this cool person. Happy 16th birthday!
16th Birthday Quotes for Daughter, Granddaughter or Niece
- It seems like it was just yesterday that you were a little girl, now you are a beautiful woman. Wishing you all the best for your 16th birthday.
- Happy Sweet 16 to my wonderful granddaughter! Just don’t let anyone tell you that you have to be sweet all the time. Sometimes you gotta be a little sour to get what you want.
- Happy Sweet 16. May you be treated like a queen on your special day.
- Happy 16th birthday daughter! Each year you are a step closer to leaving this house.
- The last 16 years have been the sweetest of my life. Happy Birthday to my smart, talented, and beautiful daughter.
16th Birthday Quotes for Son, Grandson or Nephew
- I’m proud to be the parent of such a brave, reliable and kind son. You make me proud, and I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for you! Happy Birthday!
- You’ve been around for 1.6 decades, 16 years, 192 months, 832 weeks, 5844 days. It’s no wonder you know everything and you’re always right! Happy 16th birthday.
- On this day 16 years ago I got the best present — you came into my life. From that moment on, I have been the happiest person in the world. May your day – and life – be as amazing as you are!
- May your Sweet 16 be filled with blessings like those you have given to everyone around you. Happy birthday!
- I am so proud of the sweet young man you have developed into. Take time out to pat yourself on the back as you mark this important day in your life.