Tips & Gift Ideas for a Happy 70th Birthday
Wish a loved one the happiest of birthdays with these thoughtful 70th birthday gift ideas and tips.
How to Pick a 70th Birthday Gift
Let’s take a look at some steps you can take to find a meaningful 70th birthday gift.
- Start early. Start thinking about what to get at least a month before the birthday in case something needs to be special ordered, or – if you want to make the gift yourself – there’ll be plenty of time to finish it.
- Consider Your Budget. How much are you able to spend (money-wise or time-wise)? If you’ve got plenty of time on your hands but your pockets aren’t deep, consider making the gift yourself.
- Reflect. Spend some time thinking about your relationship with the birthday honoree, their personality, and what makes them happy.
- Get Help. If you feel like you’re stuck, pick a friend’s brain for suggestions, turn to the internet for inspiration, or find others who are struggling to come up with an idea and buy a gift together.
- Jump on it! Once you have one or two good gift ideas, pull the trigger! Don’t agonize over finding the perfect gift. The recipient will likely appreciate your present no matter what it is.
Thoughtful 70th Birthday Gift Ideas
Read on for meaningful 70th birthday gift ideas for women and men.
eCard + Gift Card
Customize an online birthday card you can send from any digital device. Personalize the written message inside the card and add a short video with warm birthday wishes. You can even include a digital gift card for a sweet surprise.
70th Birthday Video Gift
Send the birthday honoree a Happy Birthday video from friends and family. Collect heartfelt video messages from loved ones and combine them into a final group video for a truly memorable gift. The recipient will love to hear from so many loved ones on their special day.
Not sure what to say in your video? Check out these tips on how to make the best birthday video.
Gifts That Give Back
A donation in your loved one’s name is a wonderful way to honor them on their birthday and support a cause that’s close to their heart. Whether it’s a social justice issue, environmental cause, or local charity, donations will be greatly appreciated by both the organization and the honoree. You can also give donation-based gifts like charity merchandise or memberships to advocacy groups for another meaningful way to celebrate a loved one’s birthday and do a little good in the world.
For the minimalists out there or those who simply don’t need or want anything, experience gifts might be right up their alley. Salsa dance lessons, private cooking classes, or helicopter rides are fun alternatives to material gifts. Take a moment to think about the recipient’s interests and check out these experience gift ideas for inspiration.
70th Birthday Party
What could be a better gift than time spent with loved ones? Organize a party with friends and family to celebrate the birthday honoree and send online birthday invitations to easily share important event info and gather RSVPs.
Need a theme for a 70th birthday party? Many people who turn 70 are in the midst of retirement, travel, and leisure. Hosts can continue this theme with a tropical luau party. Decorate your space with tiki lamps and inflatable palm trees, set up a barbeque, hand out leis and grass skirts, and hire a professional hula instructor to teach guests how to hula dance.
Another alternative is to throw a “1970’s Decade” party with disco balls, colorful doorway beads, and plenty of lava lamps. Encourage guests to don bell-bottoms, polyester shirts, and platform shoes so they can boogie down to hits from the 70’s.
Finally, create a Shared Album to easily collect party photos from guests. It’s free and the best way to capture and share important moments from a milestone celebration.