Happy Grandparents Day!
Grandparents play an invaluable role in the lives of their grandchildren. Kids (and adults!) look up to their grandparents and often go to them for advice, words of wisdom, or a warm hug.
Grandparents Day is the perfect opportunity for grandkids to celebrate this valuable relationship with their grandma and grandpa.
National Grandparents Day
This special day for Grandparents is celebrated every September on the first Sunday after Labor Day. The holiday was created to honor grandparents and strengthen the bond between grandparents and grandchildren. Not sure how to celebrate this year? Check out these ideas for Grandparents Day gifts and activities to honor your grandparents.
Unforgettable Gifts for Grandparents
Time. The gift of your time is priceless. Get together with Grandma and Grandpa to simply sit with them or engage in one of their favorite activities. Some fun Grandparents Day activities include going for a walk, fishing, gardening, baking, or doing a puzzle together. The important thing to remember is that grandparents will enjoy your company no matter what you’re doing!
Video Keepsake. Let your grandparents know how much you appreciate them with a group video from Memento. Each grandkid can share what they love most about Grandma and Grandpa, a favorite memory with their grandparents, or how their grandparents have impacted their life. Let kids get creative and make up a song or poem for their grandparents! All the video clips can easily be combined into a heartfelt group video that grandparents will cherish for years to come.
Here are some ideas for what to say in your video clip!
1. What do you love most about Grandma/Grandpa?
2. Tell me about your favorite day with Grandma/Grandpa.
3. What makes Grandma/Grandpa happy?
4. What's your favorite thing to do with Grandma/Grandpa?
5. What have you learned from Grandma/Grandpa?
6. How do you hope Grandma/Grandpa spend their day today?
7. What do you like about Grandma/Grandpa's home?
8. What are Grandma/Grandpa really good at?
9. What are three things you want to tell Grandma/Grandpa you’re grateful for?
10. What do you think Grandma/Grandpa want most for Grandparents Day?
Homemade Gifts for Grandparents
Baked goods. Almost every grandparent has a sweet tooth and would love a homemade goody baked by their grandkids. Whether its cookies, brownies, or muffins, Grandma and Grandpa will appreciate the time, effort, and love put into these yummy treats. Bonus points if you use a family recipe handed down from generation to generation!
Crafts. Parents can have kids make handprints with colorful paints, write a thoughtful message, and frame the finished product. Do Grandma and Grandpa love gardening? Purchase a garden stone kit and personalize it with your kids’ names or have them paint a ceramic pot and pick out a flower for their grandparents. Kids can even draw a picture for Grandpa and Grandma to put on a coffee mug or fun t-shirt! No matter what you choose to do, a homemade gift from the heart means a lot to grandparents.
Personalized Gifts for Grandparents
Photos. Which grandparent doesn’t love pictures of their grandkids? If you have little ones at home, let them pick out their favorite photo of themselves with their grandparents. Have them decorate a frame for the pic. If your kids are older, let them create their own photo album to give to their grandparents. Finally, consider a digital photo frame that lets you easily upload or email pics from afar.
Grandparents Day Cards. Send a thoughtful Grandparents Day ecard that includes a photo of the grandkids, a personalized message, and a short video greeting wishing Grandma and Grandpa a Happy Grandparents Day! Include a digital gift card for their favorite restaurant, store, or online retailer for an extra special surprise.
Grandparents Day Quotes
Not sure what to say in the card that you give to Grandma and Grandpa? Here are a few quotes for inspiration:
- “Grandparents, like heroes, are as necessary to a child’s growth as vitamins.” — Joyce Allston
- “A grandparent is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.” – Unknown
- “A child needs a grandparent, anybody’s grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world.” – Charles and Ann Morse
- “Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” — Alex Haley
- “A grandparent has silver in their hair and gold in their heart.” – Unknown
- “Young people need something stable to hang on to — a culture connection, a sense of their own past, a hope for their own future. Most of all, they need what grandparents can give them.” – Jay Kesler
- “Parents know a lot but grandparents know everything.” – Unknown
Regardless of how you decide to celebrate Grandparents Day, remember that your relationship with your grandparents is precious and should be honored and cherished every day of the year. Happy Grandparents Day!